Successful endodontic therapy depends on the removal of microorganisms from the root canal system. Predictable disinfection of root canals is, therefore, critical to increasing a favorable endodontic outcome.
For the past 15 years, Dr. Cohenca has been conducting research in this field. He has adopted many new technologies for effective disinfection, including negative pressure, sonic and ultrasonic irrigation systems.
Dr. Cohenca has published more than 80 scientific articles as well as a book entitled “Disinfection of the Root Canal Systems.”
We recently incorporated the use of the GentleWave® system, which combines fluid dynamics and a broad range of soundwaves that work together to reach into the microscopic spaces and remove bacteria, debris, and tissue.
Achieving an exceptional level of disinfection requires advanced endodontics—and that’s something we take very seriously to provide the best possible care to each and every one of our patients.
- Disinfection of Root Canal Systems: The Treatment of Periradicular Periodontitis. Editor: Nestor Cohenca.Wiley 2014.
- De Gregorio C, Estevez R, Cisneros R, Heilborn C, Cohenca N. Effect of EDTA, Sonic, and Ultrasonic Activation on the Penetration of Sodium Hypochlorite into Simulated Lateral Canals: An In Vitro Study.J Endod 2009 June;35:891-5.
- Cohenca N,Heilborn C, Johnson JD, Herzog-Silva D, da Silva Bezerra AL. Effect of apical negative pressure irrigation and tri-antibiotic intracanal medication on root canal disinfection in immature dog’s teeth with apical periodontitis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod 2010;109:e42-e46.
- Brunson M, Heilborn C, Johnson JD, Cohenca N. The effect of apical preparation size and taper on irrigant delivery using the EndoVac negative pressure irrigation system. J Endod. 2010 Apr;36(4):721-4.
- da Silva Bezerra AL, Nelson-Filho P, da Silva AR, Herzog-Silva D, Heilborn C, Johnson JD, Cohenca N. Revascularization and periapical repair after endodontic treatment using apical negative pressure irrigation versus conventional irrigation plus triantibiotic intracanal dressing in dogs' teeth with apical periodontitis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod. 2010 May;109(5):779-87.
- De Gregorio C, Estevez R, Cisneros R, Paranjpe A, Cohenca N.Efficacy of different irrigation and activation systems on the penetration of sodium hypochlorite into simulated lateral canals and up to working length. An in vitro study. J Endod2010;36:1216–1221.
- Heilborn C, Reynolds K, Johnson JD, Cohenca N. Cleaning efficacy of the Endo-Vac negative pressure irrigation system at different exposure times. Quintessence Int 2010;41:759-67.
- Paranjpe A, de Gregorio C, Gonzalez AM, Gomez A, Silva Herzog D, Aragon Piña A, Cohenca N. Efficacy of the Self Adjusting File (SAF) system on cleaning and shaping oval-shaped canals. A microbiology and microscopic evaluation. J Endod2012;38:226–231.
- de Gregorio C, Paranjpe A, García Vargas A, Navarrete Marabini N, Estevez R, OltraEsplugues E, Cohenca N. Efficacy of irrigation systems on penetration of sodium hypochlorite to working length and simulated uninstrumented areas in oval-shaped root canals. Int Endod J 2012;45:475–481.
- 49. Mortenson D, SadilekM, Flake NM, Paranjpe A, Heling I, Johnson JD, Cohenca N. The effect of using an alternative irrigant between sodium hypochlorite and chlorhexidine to prevent the formation of para-chloroaniline within the root canal system. Int Endod J 2012;45:878–882.
- Merino A, Estevez R, de Gregorio C, Cohenca N. The effect of different taper preparations on the ability of sonic and passive ultrasonic irrigation to reach the working length in curved canals. Int Endod J 2013;46:427-33.
- de Gregorio C, Arias A, Navarrete Marabini N, del Río V, OltraEsplugues E, Cohenca N.Effect of apical size and taper on volume of irrigant delivered at working length with apical negative pressure at different root curvatures. J Endod2013;39:119–124.
- Cohenca N, Paranjpe A, Heilborn C, Johnson JD. Antimicrobial efficacy of two irrigation techniques in tapered versus non-tapered canal preparation. A randomized controlled trial. Quintessence Int 2013;44(3):217-28.
- Cohenca N, Assed Bezerra Silva L, Assed Bezerra Silva R, Nelson-Filho P, Heilborn C, Evandro Watanabe E, Pereira Saraiva MC. Microbiological Evaluation of Different Irrigation Protocols on Root Canal Disinfection in Teeth with Apical Periodontitis: An In Vivo Study. Braz Dent J 2013;24(5):467-473.
- Gonzalez AM, Corpus E, Pozos-Guillén A, Silva Herzog D, Aragón Piña A,Cohenca N. Continuous drip flow system to develop biofilm of E. faecalis under anaerobic conditions. Scientific World Journal 2014:70;61-89.
- Pucinelli CM, Silva LA, Cohenca N, Romualdo PC, Silva RA, Consolaro A, de Queiroz AM, Nelson-Filho P, Negative Pressure Irrigation presents tissue compatibility in immature teeth. J Appl Oral Sci 2017; 611-8.
- Jesus SF, Cohenca N, Romualdo PC, Nelson-Filho P, Queiroz AM, Damião Sousa-Neto M, Paula-Silva FWG, Silva LABD. Radiographic and Immunohistochemical Evaluation of Root Canal Treatment Using Different Irrigation Systems. Braz Dent J2019;2:123-132.
- Silva LABD, Lopes Linhares M, Paula-Silva FWG, Nelson-Filho P, Pucinelli CM, Lucisano MP, Carvalho FK Cohenca N. Negative pressure irrigation presents mineralizing potential in dogs’ immature teeth with periapical lesion. Braz Dent J. 2020;31(1):37-43.